Editorial Independence & Integrity in Reporting Policy
The War Horse retains full authority over editorial content to protect our best journalistic and organizational interests. We maintain a firewall between news coverage decisions and sources of all revenue. Acceptance of financial support does not constitute implied or actual endorsement of donors or their products, services or opinions. We accept gifts, grants and sponsorships from individuals and organizations for the general support of our activities, but our news judgments are made independently and not on the basis of donor support.
The War Horse also may consider donations to support the coverage of particular topics, but our organization maintains editorial control of the coverage. We cede no right of review or influence over editorial content, nor of unauthorized distribution of editorial content. We will not accept donations from sources who, deemed by our board of directors, present a conflict of interest with our work or compromise our independence.
Our commitment is to accuracy and integrity in all our reporting.
Diversity and EEO Policy
The War Horse is an award-winning nonprofit newsroom that makes war personal by educating our readers about military service, war, and its impact. We are committed to giving voice to the military and veteran communities, challenging stereotypes associated with military service, and holding accountable the federal institutions responsible for our nation’s security through the lens of the people who live those policies daily. Together, we build an inclusive culture that fosters, inspires, and celebrates diverse voices. Consistent with these commitments, we provide employment opportunities – as well as our stories and services – without regard to age, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Effective Date: August 1, 2019
We do not share your personal data with any third parties other than some common service providers who use the information only to help us improve our site. Some of these services provide social media conveniences for our readers, while others may help us serve banner ads and measure traffic. These services may place cookies on your computer. These services are Google Analytics; Mailchimp; and Salesforce. We use HTTPS on our site exclusively and communicate with internal and external services.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) Notices; Copyright Agent
The War Horse respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement by any content or material on the website(s) hosted by The War Horse (the “War Horse Website”), please provide the following information in writing to the Copyright Agent (as defined below) (see 17 U.S.C. § 512(c)(3) for further detail):
- a physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright.
- a description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed.
- a description of the material that you claim to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information sufficient to permit us to locate the material.
- information so that we can contact you, such as address, telephone number and email
- a statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- a statement that the information in the notification is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of a copyright that is allegedly infringed.
If you believe that any content or materials you posted, uploaded or submitted to the War Horse Website that were subsequently removed from the War Horse Website, or to which access was disabled, were improperly removed or disabled, please provide the following Counter-Notification to the War Horse Copyright Agent (see 17 U.S.C. § 512(g) for further detail):
- your physical or electronic signature.
- a description of the materials that have been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled.
- a statement under penalty of perjury that you have a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled.
- your name, address and telephone number, and a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of the Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located, and that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of the alleged infringement. War Horse Website Copyright Agent (the “Copy Right Agent”) can be reached as follows:
- Only DMCA notices should be sent to the Copyright Agent. The War Horse suggests that you consult your legal advisor before filing a notice. Also, be aware that there can be penalties for false claims under the DMCA.
For other comments or questions regarding the War Horse Website, please contact us through our contact page.